During the Spring and Summer months, our fridge is almost always stocked with Paleo Chicken Salad. It makes for such a flavorful, satisfying and simple meal! Since chicken salad is served cold, it’s also perfect to pack for lunches to be enjoyed at school or at the office.
What makes a good chicken salad in my book is the mayo. Store-bought mayo may be convenient, but it is often packed with unhealthy oils and preservatives. Homemade mayo is actually quite easy to make with an immersion blender or a food processor. It is also a health food! It’s a great way to add some more healthy fats into your diet.
For this Paleo Chicken Salad recipe, I like to poach an entire chicken in the slow cooker. This way, I can make a large batch of chicken salad and I can also make chicken broth at the same time. One of the keys to being successful on a Paleo diet, is cooking once and eating twice (or more)! If you don’t have time to poach a chicken, a store-bought rotisserie chicken will work too.
Belgian endives are a great Paleo and low-carb alternative to toast. Their crisp and slightly bitter flavor compliments this creamy chicken salad nicely.
Paleo Chicken Salad Boats
Serves 8 to 10
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3/4 to 1 cup homemade mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 to 5 heads of Belgian endives
- In a medium bowl combine, chicken, celery, green onions, red onions, bell pepper, sage, parsley, lemon juice and dijon mustard.
- Fold in mayonnaise starting with about 1/2 a cup and then adding more until you reach your desired consistency. I like a creamier chicken salad that uses about 1 cup of mayonnaise.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the chicken salad onto the endive leaves and serve.
Latest posts by Arsy Vartanian (see all)
- Gluten-Free Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Paleo Satay Sauce - June 9, 2014
- Paleo Chicken Salad Boats - April 29, 2014
- Paleo Vanilla Chai Latte Panna Cotta - March 31, 2014