When making the switch to real food, it is hard to envision life without your processed favorites.
How many of you love jalapeno poppers? Here is a gluten and grain free recipe that you will love even better than the processed version.
From Lindsey at Homemade Mommy
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a crowd.
- 8 large jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup yogurt cheese
- 1 piece of bacon, cooked crisp and broken into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch of salt
GRAIN FREE BATTER
- 1 pastured egg, separated
1. Roast the jalapenos at 400 degrees F (I use a toaster oven) for about 15-20 minutes or until the skin is blistered and brown, turning about half way through. Alternatively, you can roast the jalapenos on a comal or cast iron skillet until done. Place the roasted jalapenos in a dish towel and allow to rest for about 10 minutes (this will help with the skin removal).
2. Wearing rubber gloves, remove the skin. Make a small vertical slit in the jalapenos, careful not to remove the stem, and clean out the seeds.
3. To make the filling, mix the yogurt cheese, salt and garlic together until combined. Add the bacon pieces.
4. Fill the jalapenos with a spoonful of filling and pinch them closed.
5. To make the batter, add the egg white to a mixing bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer) and whip until stiff peaks are formed, about 2-3 minutes. While the egg white is being whipped, add the egg yolk to a bowl and whisk until light and frothy, about 30 seconds. Fold the stiff egg white gently into the egg yolk.
5. Heat up a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add bacon grease or ghee to the pan. Dip the stuffed jalapenos in the batter to coat and then saute in the skillet until the edges brown. Flip the jalapenos and cook on the other side. When nicely browned, remove to a plate. Continue to cook in batches until completed.
6. Serve with Serrano Sour Cream Dip.
Serrano Sour Cream Dip
- 2 Tbsp Serrano and Garlic Aioli
- 1/4 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1. Blend the aioli and the sour cream and serve!
I guarantee you will love these!
For more delicious recipes similar to this one (low-carb, high-fat), I highly recommend the Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
Learn all about how to eat to force your body to burn fat. This book is jam packed with 156 delicious fat-shredding recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won’t stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
At the moment, the printed version of this cookbook is 100% free to Food Renegade readers. You just cover shipping & handling.