My husband and I are sticklers for a good tomato sauce, especially on homemade sourdough crust pizza. Nothing makes or breaks a dish made with tomato sauce more than, well, the tomato sauce. It needs to be slightly sweet, but have a robust, savory tomato flavor; and boy do I have a recipe for you!
After much trial and tribulation, I was finally able to make the perfect sauce. Best thing, I can set it and forget it because I make it in the slow-cooker! In the evening before bed or in the morning before work – I throw everything into the slow-cooker and am able to finish up the process in the morning or the next evening (depending on when I start it). You can really control the ingredients too, no surprises in here!
Here’s the how-to on this super, simple, and delicious sauce!
Slow-Cooker Tomato Sauce
- 6 pounds of tomatoes, with the seeds scooped out
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 – 8oz jar of organic tomato paste (where to buy organic, BPA-free tomato paste)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons organic dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon organic dried basil
- 1 teaspoon organic dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon organic dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon organic dried thyme
- 2 – 3 tablespoons coconut sugar, or to taste (