I remember as a young child ordering chocolate mousse at every restaurant that had it. It almost became a tradition to me. But in the past few years, I have seen this delicious dessert show up less and less on menus – which prompted me to want to make it at home. Plus, I thought, I could make it at home with nutrient-dense ingredients that will not only nourish my body but also hit that sweet spot!
This recipe for Real Food Milk Chocolate Mousse is super easy and will yield you an incredibly fancy dessert that will “wow” all your guest this holiday season!
Real Food Milk Chocolate Mousse
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons organic maple syrup (where to buy maple syrup)
- 2 and 1/3 cup raw heavy cream
- 3.5 ounces of organic, fair-trade 70% dark chocolate, shaved (where to find organic, fair-trade, GMO-free, soy-free chocolate)
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (where to find GMO-free, soy-free chocolate chips)
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract (where to find real, organic vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons of strong coffee (optional)
- In a small saucepan, mix together the egg yolks, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 2 tablespoons coffee, and 3/4 heavy cream until well-combined.
- Place the pan on medium-low heat, whisking continuously for 5 to 10 minutes until heated through but not simmering or boiling (you will see whisps of steam coming off the top of the cream). The mixture will be liquidy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the shaved dark chocolate, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour the mixture into a large glass bowl and place into the fridge until chilled through.
- Once the chocolate mixture is chilled, you can start the next step. Take the remaining 1 and 1/3 cups whipped cream and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and whip in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture until well-incorporated. Once mixed, scoop into glasses and top with more whipped cream. Enjoy!