I haven’t had chorizo in years because I have been avoiding all the mystery additives and spices in the packaged variety. I am thrilled to share with you a recipe for homemade chorizo that is both easy to make and delicious! This recipe can also be made with either grass fed beef or pork depending on your preference.
From Lindsey at Homemade Mommy
- 2 1/2 pounds ground pastured pork or ground grass fed beef (where to buy grassfed meats)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (where to buy organic raw apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup organic red chile powder (where to buy red chile powder)
1. Put the garlic, oregano, vinegar, and red chile powder into a blender and mix well.
2. Put the ground meat into a medium sized glass bowl. Pour the mixture over the meat, mix well, and cover with a plate.
3. Marinate at room temperature for about 6-8 hours or all day, pouring off any water that accumulates periodically throughout the day. Note: the flavor will ripen and develop throughout the day. The chile will prevent spoilage.
4. Refrigerate or freeze in small amounts and remove as needed.
To cook, crumble into a cast iron skillet and saute until browned. Extremely delicious with scrambled eggs!
If you haven’t already, check out Lindsey’s new eBook.
She recently released her new eBook where she shares all her time saving secrets to not feeling too overwhelmed in the kitchen plus quite a few recipes to get you started. The Real Food Survival Guide for Busy Moms is an excellent resource for any busy mom (or dad) who wants to cook real food for their family but is not sure how to take the plunge.