Chinese Tomato and Eggs have long been one of my favorite, simple, hearty dishes. I grew up in the China Town of Houston, in and out of my friends’ kitchens, watching hunched over Chinese mothers and grandmothers make everything from simple stir fries to egg rolls to steamed biscuits. Chinese Tomato and Eggs have always struck me as humble, almost peasant fare. But boy are they tasty!
Not only do Chinese Tomato and Eggs cook up in less than 10 minutes, but they taste like summer. Kids love them. I love them. I think you will, too. As with any ethnic dish, there are as many versions for preparing this as there are people making it. This is my way. Do with it what you will.
Chinese Tomato and Eggs
- 6 eggs from pastured hens
- 1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil (less if the flavor of your oil is particularly potent) (find sesame oil)
- salt & pepper (preferably white pepper) to taste
- 2 small tomatoes, quartered (with a larger tomato, cut the quarters in halves or thirds)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- butter (where to find butter from grass-fed cows)
1. Heat butter in a skillet or wok over medium heat. Mix eggs, sesame oil, salt & pepper in a bowl, then pour into hot skillet. Spread the eggs well with a spatula. Cook as you would scrambled eggs, then remove the eggs into a bowl.
2. Add more butter to the wok or skillet. When melted, stir in tomatoes and green onion. If the tomatoes are juicy, just cover them and cook for about 30 seconds. If they’re not a particularly juicy variety, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of water on the tomatoes before covering and cooking for about 30 seconds. Remove the cover, add the scrambled eggs, and cook for an additional 30 seconds or a minute until the tomatoes are hot and tender but not overly cooked.
3. Serve your Chinese Tomato and Eggs immediately. Enjoy!
For more delicious recipes similar to this one (low-carb, high-fat), I highly recommend the Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook.
Learn all about how to eat to force your body to burn fat. This book is jam packed with 156 delicious fat-shredding recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won’t stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
At the moment, the printed version of this cookbook is 100% free to Food Renegade readers. You just cover shipping & handling.
(photo by laurelfan)