The following is a guest post by one of my favorite food bloggers, Rachel of Nourishing Minimalism! If you want to know how to incorporate traditional, REAL food into a minimalistic, simple lifestyle, go check it out. Thanks, Rachel.
Wine Poached Pears is one of those beautifully presented desserts that is so easy to make, it almost feels like cheating. After a day of decorating our minimalist Christmas tree last year, this elegant dessert topped off a meal of Greek Pork enjoyed with friends.
As a minimalist, I prefer to make desserts that don’t require a variety of equipment or special pans. This one is great, because it looks so beautiful and yet requires so little.
Wine Poached Pears are a definite favorite at our house. You can see the mouths begin to water anytime someone brings it up, and really, no one wants to wait for a special occasion to have it again.
Wine Poached Pears
- 4 pears
- 1 bottle chardonnay
- 2 cinnamon sticks (where to buy organic cinnamon sticks)
- 1/2 cup sucanat (where to buy sucanat)
1. Peel pears. Cut off the bottom, so they can sit flat. Use a spoon to remove the core from the bottom.
2. Place in a 2 quart sauce pan, pour in the bottle of wine. Add the cinnamon sticks.
3. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and allow to cook. Pears will tip, this is fine. Cook pears for 15 minutes, then gently remove them with a spoon and place on serving plate.
4. Allow the wine to continue boiling and reduce for 15 minutes.
5. Stir in sucanat and bring back to a boil. Turn heat to a medium and boil for about 5 minutes, remove from heat, allow to cool for 5 minutes and pour over pears.
6. Serve immediately.
Rachel Jones blogs at Nourishing Minimalism.
Rachel, her husband and five (about to be six!) children live in Montana with a minimal amount of possessions, but a whole lot of delicious real food.
Rachel has been getting all her simple dessert recipes, like this one, into an ebook for your easy reference. Click here to sign up for more information and updates. It’ll be out soon, make sure you sign up so you don’t miss it! You can also follow her here on facebook.
Latest posts by Kristen Michaelis (see all)
- Fight Back Friday April 18th - April 17, 2014
- Fight Back Friday April 11th - April 10, 2014
- How to Green the World’s Deserts: Reversing Desertification with Grass-fed Cows - April 8, 2014