I am getting amped for summer – it feels like it is just around the corner! And what comes with the summer season? Some of the tastiest food: such as my famous macaroni salad (at least in my house) and homemade burgers! If you are like me, you believe that veggie burgers can hold their own. I love me some veggie burgers, and this gluten-free one is made from wholesome ingredients and packed with southwestern flavors.
Since they are baked, feel free to whip a batch up of these anytime through out the year in Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall!
Gluten-Free Southwest Sweet Potato Black Bean Veggie Burgers
2 cups soaked and prepared organic black beans
1 large organic sweet potato
3/4 cup organic frozen corn
2/3 cup organic cornmeal (where to buy)
2 tablespoons fermented salsa
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 and 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon sea salt (where to buy real U.S.-sourced sea salt)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Clean and peel the sweet potato then slice into four pieces. Steam in a sauce pan over medium heat until the potato is soft and mashable.
2. In a large bowl, with a potato masher, mash the black beans and potato together until well-combined and large chunks are smoothed out (it’s okay to have some smaller chunks, that will add to the texture of the burger).
3. Add in the corn, cornmeal, salsa, egg, and all the seasonings. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the cornmeal to “hydrate” and bind the mix together.
4. Form burgers, and on a greased cookie sheet, place evenly spread apart. This should make about 6 burgers.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately on a gluten-free roll or with some avocado!