Farmer’s markets are festive places. What’s not to love about artisanal foods, hand-crafted goods, and down-to-earth farmers? My all-time favorite reason for going to farmer’s markets is to meet farmers.
I like to ask them questions. Lots of questions.
Most farmers, contrary to popular stereotype, are an articulate, well-educated group. They have well thought out reasons for why they do what they do (which is why I like picking their brains). In the video below, you’ll get to meet a farming couple who raises grass-fed beef and pastured pork.
In just 5 short minutes, Jerry and Sam Williams managed to talk about:
- The health benefits of grass-fed beef
- The environmental sustainability of raising grass-fed beef
- The evolution of superbugs like E-Coli (a DIRECT RESULT of our factory farming practices!)
- The way excess government regulation creates a heavy burden on their business
Watch the video.
These people are passionate about what they do and obviously enjoy their work. (Hmmm… I’m starting to see a pattern here.)
If you want to get to know your local farmers, check out the links on my Real Food Resources page. You’ll find a handful of online directories listing local farms, ranches, farmer’s markets, etc. Then you can give them a call, visit their farm stands, and get to know them.
This post is part of today’s Real Food Wednesday blog carnival hosted by Kelly The Kitchen Kop.
Latest posts by Kristen Michaelis (see all)
- Does the USDA Really Need Submachine Guns? - October 21, 2014
- Win An Alaskan Adventure For Two With Me (over $4000 value) - October 7, 2014
- October Giveaway: Le Creuset Cast Iron Cookware Set (worth $425) - October 2, 2014