Do you love brownies, but need an easy grain-free version? Once again, former pastry chef Megan Keatley of Health-Bent comes through for all of us with a healthier version of an old favorite in this guest post just in time for the holidays. No grains, no refined sweeteners, and no refined vegetable oils.Thanks, Megan!
I’ve taken my favorite fudgey brownie recipe and added a little holiday pizazz with some cheesecake batter swirled in. Adapt this recipe by removing the vanilla from the cheesecake batter and adding your favorite extract, like mint, orange or coffee; or you could mix in a bit of raspberry jam. Very easy to put together, hard to screw up, festive and something the kids can help you make. What more could you ask for?
Grain-Free Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
Yield: 12 brownies
- 1 c almond butter (where to find nut butters from properly soaked nuts)
- 2 eggs (from pastured hens)
- 1/3 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 c canned coconut milk (full fat) (where to find coconut milk)
- 1/2 c coconut palm sugar (where to find sustainably harvested coconut palm sugar)
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/3 c chocolate chips (optional)
- 8 oz cream cheese (or make your own yogurt cheese)
- 1 egg (from pastured hens)
- 1/3 c coconut crystals or palm sugar
- 2 t vanilla extract
Set your oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the brownie ingredients until well combined, and pour into a greased 9×9 oven-safe baking dish.
Add the cream cheese to your mixer bowl and beat until smooth, add the rest of the ingredients and beat until combined.
Dollop the cream cheese batter on top of the brownie batter. Using a knife, or a toothpick, swirl the cheesecake batter into the brownie batter. This would be a great thing for kids to do! Another option would be to remove the vanilla extract and add your favorite extract flavoring to the cheesecake batter; mint, almond, orange, coffee, coconut–would all work well.
Bake for about 35 minutes–until the top has slightly cracked. Serve well chilled, just like cheesecake.
Latest posts by Kristen Michaelis (see all)
- Fight Back Friday April 18th - April 17, 2014
- Fight Back Friday April 11th - April 10, 2014
- How to Green the World’s Deserts: Reversing Desertification with Grass-fed Cows - April 8, 2014