It’s unfortunate that in today’s world, our children are routinely exposed to toxins every single day. In many cases, we have no control over the exposure as is the case with our air and water. We’ve told you about how to detox for yourself but what about kids, who are typically more sensitive and less patient than grown ups?
We’ll give you five simple ways you can help your kids detox every day to keep their body healthy and functioning optimally.
Before I jump in to how to detox your kids, let’s take a look at where kids are exposed to the most toxins.
Common toxin exposures for kids
- Food- Just one look at typical kid cuisine will show you just how toxic it really is. From boxed dinners to fast food, kids frequently consume rancid oils, food dyes, refined flours and sugars. Foods with so little nutrition that they might as well be eating cardboard. Indeed, some ingredients are not too far removed from cardboard.
- Air- On any given day, you can drive through your town or neighborhood and see someone spraying pesticides or weed killers. It’s really frustrating that these chemicals have not been banned seeing as how they cause cancer, disrupt hormones, and pose a threat to human health in general. (source) Now, we also have to worry about massive spraying campaigns due to concern about things like Zika virus along with pesticides being sprayed on air planes.
- Water- Most cities add fluoride to their water supply because it’s believed to improve dental health but it actually causes harm, especially to growing children. Studies show that children living in areas with high fluoride exposure are at risk for low IQ, among other health issues. (source) Not only that but chlorine is added to water to sanitize it which is harmful to the microbiome, as it kills good gut flora. Finally, we also have to be concerned about heavy metals that are often found in water especially in places where lead pipes are used.
- Everyday chemicals- From the cleaning supplies we use to our shampoo, harmful chemicals abound in most modern homes. Kids are exposed to toxins via the sheets and mattress they sleep on; the clothes they wear; the soap and toothpaste they use… you see where I’m going with this. There is not a lot of regulation when it comes to these household products and as a result, our kids have a lot to contend with.
It may seem impossible to help our kids live toxin-free, as the above list is pretty daunting. While it can be frustrating that we have so little control over some of the toxins our children are exposed to, there is plenty we can do to eliminate exposure and support their bodies!
How to detox kids daily in five simple steps
Focus on nutrition
While we can’t be sure our kids eat perfectly all the time, we can support their bodies through proper nutrition so that the occasional indulgence can be tolerated.
The best thing you can do is make sure your children eat a well-rounded diet that includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, pastured eggs, raw dairy, and grassfed meats. It’s debatable whether children need grains or if they’re even healthy at all. I personally believe that they should be limited to occasional, gluten-free, properly prepared consumption, if at all. Even more importantly, make sure your child isn’t eating any of these five ingredients!
While a well-rounded diet is one of the best things you can provide for your kids, targeted nutrition through juicing can be incredibly helpful. Not only does juicing provide easily-digested vitamins and minerals, but you can put specific fruits and vegetables in your juice that can target specific detox mechanisms.
Here are a few things I like to include in juices:
- Beets- especially good for the liver and for cleansing the blood
- Cilantro- helps the body to detox heavy metals gently
- Ginger- helps to fight unwanted organism and reduce pain
- Turmeric- combats inflammation
- Lemon- helps to detox the liver and provides enzymes that aid in digestion
I find that as long as I use several carrots and some apple, my kids not only tolerate our morning juicing routine, but they really like it!
Promote good gut flora
The immune system resides mostly in the gut and also dictates how well your child’s body can deal with the influx of toxins he’s inundated with daily. When we support the gut we support the immune system, thereby rendering the body capable of detoxifying on a regular basis.
When the gut flora is compromised, the body is less able to handle the daily assaults of our toxic world and toxins begin to build up. This can result in any number of conditions affecting so many children today including autism, asthma, eczema, ADHD, and so on.
A good probiotic can make all the difference in the world for your child’s gut health and overall ability to detox. A probiotic healed my son’s eczema quickly and without major diet changes! You should also incorporate lots of raw and fermented foods in your child’s diet to promote good gut flora.
Let them play
Kids should run around barefooted and play in the sunshine every day, as much as possible. Our modern sedentary, indoor lifestyles (facilitated by long school days and video game habits) don’t do our children’s bodies any favors.
For one thing, vitamin D is necessary for our immune systems to function properly which I mentioned above as a necessity for helping children’s bodies detox. Midday sunshine is the best source of vitamin D and allowing kids to play outside and soak up as much vitamin D as possible is one great way to strengthen their bodies’ detox mechanisms.
Additionally, connecting bare feet to the earth is known as “earthing” and it helps with detox function in a number of ways. We’ve mentioned before that earthing can help combat the negative effects of electromagnetic frequencies, improve organ function, reduce inflammation, and improve sleep, all of which promote detoxification.
Finally, get your kiddos in a special bath to promote detoxification through the skin. Detox baths are an easy way to help your child’s body deal with toxins in a manageable way.
To turn an ordinary bath into a “detox bath,” there are a number of additives you can put in the water:
- Epsom salts
- Baking soda
- Apple cider vinegar
- Bentonite clay
- Essential oils
These ingredients not only draw out toxins but have health benefits of their own, which help to strengthen the immune system and nourish the body further promoting detoxification.
To make a detox bath, use as hot of water as your child tolerates (for my kids, that’s not very hot), and add a cup of one or two additives, along with a few drops of essential oils, if you’d like. (Make sure your child doesn’t drink the water!) Encourage your kiddo to soak until the water is cool or at least for 20 minutes. With a few toys, it’s pretty easy to get kids to play in the bath for a while!
Use what works
No doubt, our kids come into contact with more toxins than most of us would like. Instead of fretting about it, get proactive! You can use the above tips, which are all geared towards activites kids like doing anyways.
Use what works for your child and make it fun! Serve juice up in a cute stainless steel cup (where to buy stainless steel cup) with a stainless steel straw (where to buy drinking straws), make frequent outdoor activities a regular occurance, and incorporate things they like into their detox routine. With just a little effort, you can make a big impact on your child’s toxin burden and overall health!
Do you have friends who would like to know how to detox their children daily? Share this post using one of our links!