I’m a fan of a better barbeque sauce. Too many are sickly sweet, or use ketchup as a base. This one does neither. It’s relatively low-carb, AND it’s got a hearty bone broth as a base.
(You do remember how good bone broth is for you, don’t you?)
Better Barbeque Sauce
- 1 tbsp. unrefined coconut oil (where to find coconut oil)
- 1 cup minced fresh onion
- 1 tbsp. naturally-fermented soy sauce
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/3 tsp. ground chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. dry basil
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- 1 6oz. can tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups homemade beef broth
- 2 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. stevia (where to find stevia)
- 1 tbsp. honey (where to find raw honey)
1. Heat oil in a 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Bring to a low boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring periodically until mixture thickens, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Pour into wide-mouth glass jar; allow to cool. Cover and refrigerate. Use within 2 weeks or freeze.
One Year Ago THIS WEEK:
- Easy Honey Nut Creme Fraiche Dessert
- How to Cure Tooth Decay: Guest Post by Rami Nagel
- Real Food For Mother And Baby by Nina Planck
(photo by my_amii)