I love savory sweet potato casseroles. Even as a kid with a sweet-tooth the size of Texas, I never enjoyed the holiday sweet potatoes smothered in marshmallows. ICK!
Instead of cloying sweetness, robust, savory flavors are the center of this mouthwatering sweet potato casserole recipe. Buttery sweet potatoes are mashed with coconut milk, bacon, rosemary, and Swiss cheese.
It won’t disappoint!
Savory Sweet Potatoes with Bacon & Swiss
Yield: 12 servings
Total Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 8 slices uncured bacon, cooked & broken into pieces
- 1/4 C. butter or ghee from grass-fed cows (where to buy grass-fed ghee)
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh minced rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 egg (from pastured hens!)
- 3 tbsp. coconut milk (where to buy coconut milk)
- 1 C. Swiss cheese, grated (or, try Gruyere!) (where to buy cheese from grass-fed cows)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Begin by preheating the oven to 400F.
Bake sweet potatoes on baking tray or parchment until tender when poked with a fork, approximately 45 minutes. Remove potatoes from the oven and allow to cool to the touch. Cut cooled potatoes in half, scooping out sweet potato flesh.
In a large bowl, mix sweet potato flesh, bacon, butter, rosemary, thyme, egg, coconut milk, and half the Swiss cheese with an electric mixer. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Mix until smooth.
Transfer mashed savory sweet potato mixture into an oven safe casserole dish. Top with remaining Swiss cheese, cover, and bake until golden (about 20 minutes). Remove from oven.
Enjoy your savory sweet potato casserole!!
Latest posts by Kristen (see all)
- Fight Back Friday December 6th - December 5, 2013
- November Giveaway Winner - December 4, 2013
- New Studies Show Gut Bacteria Are “Mind-altering Microorganisms” - December 2, 2013