Do you want to know how to make an egg substitute with chia seeds? Did you even know that was possible?
I am an egg addict. I love eating eggs from pastured hens, love their firm, bright orange yolks, love how nutrient-dense and healthy they are. Yet sometimes I (gasp!) run out of eggs before I have the chance to buy them again from my local farmer.
When that happens and I need an egg substitute for some baked goods, I use chia seeds as an egg substitute. (This is also particularly useful for those with egg allergies!)
Chia Seeds are Healthy
Chia seeds have a lot of great things going for them:
- Chia seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds promote a healthy digestive tract — relieving constipation, diarrhea, and inflammation.
- Chia seeds are gluten-free and grain-free.
- Chia seeds are an excellent source of magnesium.
Because of this, they’re useful beyond just egg-replacement. I enjoy sprinkling chia seeds on morning bowls of oatmeal and mixing them into my children’s favorite bananas and yogurt snack.
How to Make an Egg Substitute with Chia Seeds
Did you ever indulge and make the now-famous Chia Pets as a child?
You’ll remember that when you add water to the chia seeds, you get goo. That goo is the magic egg substitute.
Here’s how you make it. It’s so easy!
Chia Egg Substitute
Yield: 1 egg replacement
- 1 Tbsp. Chia Seeds (where to buy chia seeds in bulk)
- 3 Tbsp. Water
1. Using a food processor, spice grinder, or mortar & pestle, grind the chia seeds into a meal. (If you want to grind more at once, that’s okay. Just remember that chia seeds are full of delicate omega-3 oils which are prone to spoilage when exposed to heat and oxygen. So you’ll want to store your pre-ground chia meal in an airtight container in your freezer for up to a year.)
2. Mix the water and ground chia seed meal in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or so, or until it takes on a goopy texture similar to raw egg yolk.
3. Use in your favorite baked goods or morning smoothies.
Where to buy Chia Seeds
For that, I buy the Frontier Brand of Chia seeds in bulk, 1 pound bags.
One pound of chia seeds will make about 45 egg substitutes.
When possible, I like to make bulk purchases like this from small, family-owned companies I know and trust. It’s my way of supporting their work. Thankfully, one of my sponsors, Radiant Life, has started carrying select Frontier brand goods, including chia seeds.