With all this talk of fermentation and Jenny’s new e-course, I thought I’d host a giveaway for one of my sponsors, Julie at Cultures For Health. Cultures For Health carries a host of starter cultures for a variety of foods, as well as many naturally fermented foods themselves.
Thankfully, Julie also thought a giveaway was a good idea! She agreed to give one of you lucky people three starter cultures. And guess what? You can have your pick of any of her kefir starters, any of her yogurt starters, and any of her sourdough starters. (If you don’t do grains, you can substitute out the sourdough starter for a different one. Or, if you’ve already got one of those starters going that you’re pleased with, she’s also willing to set you up with something new that you WANT.)
Have you ever wanted to get into naturally fermenting your own kefir or yogurt? Making your own sourdough bread? Talk about a way to save money!
These are the foods that keep on giving because you can always use a bit of your last batch as a starter for a new batch.
In these dark, short days when it’s almost impossible to grow anything outside, why not “grow” some beneficial bacteria in your own kitchen?
Think of all the things you could do with these starters! Kefir sodas are fruity, fizzy, and super kid-friendly. Made with water kefir grains, they’re an excellent source of healthy probiotics. Use kefir grains to culture coconut water and you have a veritable re-hydration powerhouse. (Say goodbye, Gatorade!) Yogurt is another one of those family-friendly foods, particularly when mixed with fruit or into smoothies. Did you know there are types of yogurt that you can culture at room temperature? No special equipment needed? And of course, sourdough bread is bread the way it’s supposed to be made. And who doesn’t love sandwiches or French Toast?
How to Enter
Leave a separate comment for each of the following possible ways to enter.
1. The first step to entering the contest is to click on the link below. You’ll be taken to the Cultures For Health website, where you can sign up for the Cultures For Health newsletter to enter the contest. (Hey, if you don’t like it you can always unsubscribe later. But I can guarantee you’ll like it. Julie’s newsletters are packed full of valuable information on fermenting foods at home, links to video tutorials, discounts, and more!) While there, take a look around the site and pick out the three starter cultures you think are MOST up your alley.
Now, leave a comment below. That’s good for one entry. For additional chances to win, do any of the following:
2. Blog about this giveaway and link back to this page on your blog. Comment below with the link. (1 extra entry)
3. Sign up for my weekly email newsletter using the form below. Leave a comment below telling me that you signed up. You will also get an entry if you already subscribe — be sure to leave a comment! (3 extra entries)
4. Follow me on Twitter and tweet about the giveaway. Be sure to include the URL to this page in your tweet. Click the Twitter icon button at the bottom of the post, or you can use the following tweet: “Don’t enter to win these FREE kefir, yogurt, and sourdough starters! I want them all to myself. http://tinyurl.com/25888eu” Leave a comment telling me that you followed & tweeted. (1 extra entry)
5. Email 5 friends about the giveaway, with a link to this page. Leave a comment below telling me that you did. (1 extra entry)
6. LIKE my newly created Facebook page and share about the giveaway on Facebook, linking to this post. (2 extra entries!)
There are a total of 9 possible entries!
Questions? Comment below.
This contest will end Saturday, March 5th at 11:59 PM PST. Winner will be announced the following Monday. Please note this contest is only open to those with U.S. shipping addresses.
Latest posts by Kristen Michaelis (see all)
- Does the USDA Really Need Submachine Guns? - October 21, 2014
- Win An Alaskan Adventure For Two With Me (over $4000 value) - October 7, 2014
- October Giveaway: Le Creuset Cast Iron Cookware Set (worth $425) - October 2, 2014