My family is addicted to these Cranberry Bacon Almond Energy Bars. They’re a crazy good combination of all that is delicious — cranberries, bacon, dates, bacon, almonds, bacon, coconut, and … BACON.
Better still, they’re very fast and easy to prepare. I can whip them together in less than five minutes, and they provide a tasty, nutritious, easily portable, energy-boosting snack.
I prefer to get my ingredients from one of my sponsors, VitaCost, as they offer free shipping on most orders and almost always have the lowest online prices.
Cranberry Bacon Almond Energy Bars
Makes 8 bars.
- 1 C. Almonds (where to buy organic raw almonds)
- 1 C. Dried cranberries (where to buy organic dried cranberries)
- 1 C. Dried date crumbles (where to buy dried date crumbles)
- 1 Tbsp. Organic unsweetened coconut flakes (where to buy organic unsweetened coconut flakes)
- 3 slices Thick-cut bacon, cooked, cut into 2 inch strips (where to find nitrate-free bacon from foraged hogs; if they’re back-ordered, I use these guys)
1. Put all ingredients into a food processor or heavy-duty blender. (I use my Vitamix.)
2. Blend at low speeds, pulsing, until you get a sticky mass that starts clumping together and/or forming a ball.
3. Remove from food processor and shape into an 7″ x 7″ square on a cutting board or flat plate.
4. Transfer to the refrigerator to cool for at least an hour. Once chilled, cut into 8 bars. To store, wrap bars in wax paper or plastic wrap.
Thanks to the bacon fat, they keep just as well at room temperature as they do in the fridge. We usually gobble them up within a few days, but they theoretically ought to keep for weeks (or even months) since animal fat is such a good preservative and the remaining ingredients were all dried/preserved to begin with.