The following is a guest post by Hannah of Healy Real Food Vegetarian. If you haven’t checked out her blog, you need to! Hannah is committed to eating 100% Real Food, so her recipes are soy-free, use quality fats, and occasionally feature beautiful, nourishing pasture-based dairy and eggs.
This ice-cream sandwich recipe is a wholesome and easy recipe for a cool-down dessert! I just used a batch of my chocolatey cocoa cookies for the “sandwich bread” and filled it with creamy dreamy 1-ingredient banana ice-cream.
This chocolate banana ice cream sandwich recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, refined-sugar free and is the perfect summer treat. Make a healthy BBQ or party activity for your kids and create an “ice-cream sandwich making station”!
Chocolate Banana Ice-Cream Sandwiches
Yeild: 8 cookies/4 ice-cream sandwiches
For the cookies:
- 1 cup almond flour (where to buy almond flour)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (where to buy organic, fair-trade cocoa powder)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (where to buy coconut flour)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (where to buy coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds (where to buy ground flax seeds)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (where to buy aluminum-free baking soda)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (where to buy real vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1 pastured egg
For the banana “ice-cream”:
- 4 ripe bananas
1. Before you start the recipe make sure that you peel and cut up the banana into slices and freeze them for at least an hour.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350°. Combine ingredients in a bowl or mixer/food processor. Make sure that the coconut oil is melted (76°).
3. Shape dough hunks into balls and flatten and form into large circles on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for about 6-9 minutes. Cookies will be firm. Set aside to cool.
5. Once the cookies have cooled, start the banana ice cream. Take frozen bananas and put them in a food processor. Run the processor until the bananas are fully blended into a creamy ice-cream like texture. You may have to stop the processor a few times and scrape the sides to incorporate all the bananas.
6. To form the ice cream sandwiches take one cookie and top the flat side with desired amount of banana ice cream, then top it with another cookie. If the banana ice cream is too creamy to hold up on its own, put it in the freezer for about 20-45 minutes until it’s hard enough to hold, but soft enough to work with.
7. Store ice-cream sandwiches in the freezer.
Healy Real Food Vegetarian focuses on spreading the wisdom of traditional food from a vegetarian perspective.
I’m Hannah Healy, the creator of Healy Real Food Vegetarian and I enjoy sharing original recipes with real food ingredients like traditional fats (coconut oil, ghee, butter, etc.), organic fruits and vegetables, pasture raised eggs, fermented foods and natural sweeteners.
My recipes are always vegetarian, but sometimes gluten-free, organic, paleo, gaps legal and vegan. I also write informative articles and tips on living a natural lifestyle.
I believe that by avoiding processed foods (including soy) and integrating whole, natural foods we can all nourish ourselves regardless of differing dietary restrictions. There’s something for every one at Healy Real Food Vegetarian!