Broccoli bites double as a crowd-pleasing appetizer or a kid-friendly lunch. Really, they’re quite clever. Who doesn’t love broccoli surrounded by melted cheese? Broccoli bites serve up both broccoli and cheese, but packaged as a finger food! Paired with a maple-dijon dipping sauce, they quickly become a favorite.
Inspired by the popularity of a similar appetizer served at Bennigan’s restaurants, I wanted to adapt it to be 1)actually healthy, and 2)easy. The Bennigan’s version contains bacon and onions and is served up fried in nasty vegetable oil. While I’d normally be all over adding bacon and onions to just about anything, I also wanted to keep this simple so that I could throw it together quickly.
So, this recipe for Broccoli Bites was born.
Broccoli Bites Recipe
(adapted from Stacey Snacks)
Broccoli Bites: The Players
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (where to buy cheese from grass-fed cows)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (where to buy cheese from grass-fed cows)
- 3 eggs (why from from pastured hens?)
- 1 cup almond flour (where to buy almond flour)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- salt & pepper to taste (where to buy real sea salt)
Broccoli Bites: The How-To
Preheat oven to 375F. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Use your hands to roll the mixture into 1 inch, bite-sized balls. Place balls on lightly greased parchment paper.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until brown. Serve with the Maple-Dijon Dipping Sauce.
Maple-Dijon Dipping Sauce
Maple-Dijon Dipping Sauce: The Players
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (where to buy soy-free mayonnaise)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (where to find organic, grade-B maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste (where to buy real sea salt)
Maple-Dijon Dipping Sauce: The How-To
Simply stir all ingredients together and serve! YUMMILICIOUS!
(photo by staceysnacks)