Today, my family is descending into the bowels of the earth, exploring the inner ecosystems of Carlsbad Caverns. While we’re mixing homeschooling and family adventure, I’m honored to have some of my favorite online bloggers contribute their amazing posts here. The following is a guest post by Tiffany of The Coconut Mama.
We love bacon in our home. We love it almost as much as we love coconut. Every so often my 3-year-old daughter decides she doesn’t want to eat meat anymore. So I make bacon. Does she turn down bacon? Nope. Never. Bacon is awesome!
What is bacon jam? Bacon jam is a spread of sweet and savory deliciousness with the goodness of bacon. You can serve bacon jam with crackers, over baked brie (my favorite) or spread it on sandwiches and hamburgers. Give bacon jam to your friends and family as gifts. They will love you forever for it!
A Tip: Use the highest quality bacon to make your bacon jam. Pork bacon from pastured raised pigs is truly the best bacon on earth.
Bacon Jam Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds of pasture pork bacon, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 onion (yellow or red), diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar (where to buy apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, sucanat or date sugar (where to buy coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (where to buy real maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
1. Use a dutch oven pot and cook the bacon until brown but not crispy, about 15 minutes.
2. Remove bacon from the pot and add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Add bacon back into the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and allow the bacon mixture to simmer for 30-45 minutes. The mixture should be thick and like syrup.
4. Pour bacon jam into a food processor and pulse until the bacon is finely chopped. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This recipe makes approximately 3 cups of bacon jam.
Tiffany Pelkey is a real food mama who lives in Oregon. She blogs about real food, natural living and all things coconut on her site, The Coconut Mama.
Latest posts by Kristen (see all)
- Fight Back Friday December 6th - December 5, 2013
- November Giveaway Winner - December 4, 2013
- New Studies Show Gut Bacteria Are “Mind-altering Microorganisms” - December 2, 2013