Even though we are in the midst of winter and rich comfort foods surround us – sometimes a bit of freshness can liven up the gray, snowy skies! A taste of summer can truly make any season brighter. That is why I present to you my Any Fruit Crumble. This recipe is so versatile, you can use any fruit or berry you like (for example, I used peaches in one and blueberries in another).
The sweet brightness of the fruit and the rich, decadence of the crumble makes this the perfect dessert – plus it’s grain-free! If so desired, pair it with your favorite ice cream – even in the deep freeze of winter.
Any Fruit Crumble (Grain-Free)
Grain-Free Fruit Crumble: The Players
- 4 cups, chopped organic fruit of your choosing (such as blueberries or peaches)
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot powder (where to buy organic arrowroot powder)
- 2 Tbsp organic, grade B maple syrup (where to buy)
- 1 Tbsp fresh organic lemon juice
- dash of organic cinnamon (where to buy)
- dash of sea salt (where to buy real U.S. sea salt)
- 1/4 cup organic coconut sugar (where to buy)
- 1/3 cup organic almond flour (where to buy)
- 1/4 cup butter, diced and chilled (where to find butter from grass-fed cows)
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder (where to buy)
- dash of cinnamon (where to buy)
- dash of nutmeg (where to buy)
1. To make the filling, it’s easy — just mix all the fruit, arrowroot powder, maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, and sea salt together until the fruit is evenly covered. Then place all the ingredients into an 8×8 glass baking dish or desired bakeware.
2. To make the topping — mix together the coconut sugar, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well incorporated. Cut in the diced butter in until even pea-sized “crumbles” form.
3. Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the fruit filling. Bake in 350 degree oven until the fruit is bubbling and the crumble is slightly browned – about 30 to 40 minutes.
4. Cool completely (or serve slightly warmed) with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream!