Nothing spells comfort food like cheesy, creamy, potatoes au gratin! In my home, we recently put a twist on this old family favorite by adding homemade chorizo and a creamy queso dip to the mix. YUM.
It’s deliciously, mildly spicy and oh so indulgent.
If your family enjoys the kick of chorizo and the perfect creaminess of homemade nacho cheese, they will love this Creamy Chorizo Potatoes Au Gratin casserole.
Creamy Chorizo Potatoes Au Gratin
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional: do half green, half red)
- 2 cups Homemade Creamy Queso
- 1 lb. Homemade Chorizo
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
2. Grease 9×13 baking dish with your fat of choice. (I recommend coconut oil. See where to buy coconut oil.)
3. Layer the bottom of the baking dish with potatoes.
4. Pinch off bite-sized crumbles of your raw chorizo and layer those on top of the potato layer, using half the available chorizo.
5. Sprinkle half the diced red bell peppers over the chorizo layer.
6. Continue layering the casserole with potatoes, chorizo, and red bell peppers until all have been used.
7. Pour Homemade Creamy Queso evenly over the top of the casserole dish.
8. Cover the casserole dish and bake the casserole in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for an addition half hour and check to see if potatoes are fork tender. (If not, continue cooking for up to another 15 minutes.)
(photo credit: dalboz17)
Diane S says
Your Chorizo recipe seems really hot. Can the spice be reduced and still get a good result?
Oh my goodness, this looks amazing. Every time I think of ‘gratin’ I have good feelings. And when you add chorizo to the mix? Wow.
Julie Parcells via Facebook says
I might make this for my husbands birthday. I would have to assemble it the day before and cook it the next evening. That should work!
Food Renegade via Facebook says
I hope he enjoys it! It’s definitely what I’d call Comfort Food, Julie.
Sweet Talk -N- Diabetes via Facebook says