I guess you could wrap almost anything in bacon, and I’d love it. I’m imagining scallops, shrimp, asparagus, artichokes, new potatoes, jalepenos, dates, …. and more. But these Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites may just steal the show. Naturally sweet. Salty. Spicy. These goodies are crisp on the outside with an inside that melts in your mouth. They are a simple, yet delectable finger food.
Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites
- 2 medium-small sweet potatoes
- 1 lb uncured bacon from foraged hogs (Why uncured & foraged?)
- 2 Tbsp butter or ghee from grass-fed cows (where to find pastured butter & ghee)
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (where to find organic chili powder)
- 1 Tbsp sea salt (where to find REAL sea salt)
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup — OPTIONAL (where to find quality maple syrup)
Preheat oven to 350F. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them lengthwise into quarters. Then cut each quarter in half, and then half again. You’ll wind up with 32 bites.
Melt butter over low-heat and stir in chipotle chili powder and sea salt. Toss the potatoes in the spiced, melted butter to coat.
Cut the bacon slices in half, so you have 32 mini-slices of bacon. Wrap each sweet potato bite with a half slice of bacon, and use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place.
Place on a stainless steel baking sheet (where to buy stainless steel bake ware) and bake for 45 minutes, turning once about halfway through.
These are done when the bacon is crispy and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Remove from heat, drizzle with maple syrup, and let cool before serving.
Enjoy your bacon wrapped sweet potato bites!
(photo by FoodWhirl)