Fans of grilled cheese sandwiches will swoon. Kids will be dancing across front lawns in celebration. Your taste buds will party like it’s 1999. The lion will lie down with the lamb. (Okay, so that last is a bit of stretch. But you get the idea.) This Apple Bacon Swiss Grilled Cheese Sandwich is heavenly. Glorious. Surprisingly worthy of praise.
Forgive my enthusiasm. I love simple, easy food. I also love unique combinations of flavors that rock my world. I also love food that my kids and husband rave about. This buttery sampling of grilled cheese excellence does all this and more.
Apple Bacon Swiss Grilled Cheese Sandwich
For each sandwich, you’ll need:
- 2 slices of sourdough, sprouted rye bread (where to find sprouted rye flour)
- several thin slices of apple
- 2 slices of cooked, uncured bacon from foraged hogs
- 2 slices of swiss cheese from grass-fed cows (where to find grass-fed swiss cheese)
- butter from grass-fed cows (where to find grass-fed butter)
Assemble your sandwich by layering the apple, bacon, and swiss cheese between your two slices of bread. Butter the outside of your bread liberally.
Grill over medium heat in a cast iron skillet until the cheese melts, flipping the sandwich about halfway through the cooking time to get both sides toasty and golden. Or, cook using your favorite method for grilled cheese. (We use our George Foreman Grill.)
(photo by girlaphid)