There is nothing more relaxing than snuggling up on the couch on a cold winter evening, with a good book and a warm cup of homemade hot chocolate. This recipe makes for a decadent, creamy and satisfying treat.
This recipe makes enough homemade hot chocolate for 2-3 people. It does call for quite a bit of coconut sugar. This is because coconut sugar doesn’t taste as sweet as cane sugar, so you need a little bit more to get the right flavor. Although data is limited, coconut sugar is also thought to be rich in nutrients, most notably the minerals, iron, zinc, calcium and potassium. (BONUS: Coconut sugar is sustainable.)
You can top this homemade hot chocolate with my Honey Whipped Cream or for a dairy-free (i.e. Paleo) version, you can try my Coconut Whipped Cream. Both of these recipes only take 30 seconds to whip up!
Homemade Hot Chocolate: With Dairy-Free Options
Homemade Hot Chocolate: The Players
- 2 cups raw milk (substitute coconut milk for dairy-free; where to find BPA-free coconut milk)
- 1 cup raw heavy cream (substitute coconut cream for dairy-free; where to find BPA-free coconut cream)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder (where to find GMO-free, raw, organic cacao powder)
- 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar (where to find coconut sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (where to find organic vanilla)
- pinch of sea salt (where to find REAL U.S. sea salt)
- pinch of cayenne
Homemade Hot Chocolate: The How-To
Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium-low heat. I like to heat the milk up slowly to avoid scorching it.
- Then add the cacao powder, palm sugar and vanilla. Whisk vigorously.
- Once all the cacao has blended in with your milk mixture, add the pinch of sea salt and cayenne. Keep whisking.
- Continue to heat the mixture until it is warm, but not too hot to drink.
- Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
Latest posts by Arsy Vartanian (see all)
- Gluten-Free Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Paleo Satay Sauce - June 9, 2014
- Paleo Chicken Salad Boats - April 29, 2014
- Paleo Vanilla Chai Latte Panna Cotta - March 31, 2014