Kids and grilled cheese sandwiches? Why, they go together like peas and carrots. Milk and chocolate. Apples and pies. In my home, we’ve got a George Foreman grill. Sure, it gets used to grill hamburgers, but its main use? Hot grilled cheese sandwiches. And not just any old grilled cheese sandwich. I’m talking grilled cheese sandwiches that will knock your socks off.
The key is variety. We use farm fresh smoked cheddar made from the milk of grass-fed cows. Or maybe we use a cave-aged gruyere. Sometimes we do gouda. We also add in nourishing foods like eggs or tuna. But one of our favorite combinations? Grilled smoked cheddar and broccoli.
Grilled Cheese and Broccoli Sandwich
For each grilled cheese sandwich you will be making, you’ll need:
- 2 slices of sourdough or sprouted grain bread
- 2 oz of grated smoked cheddar
- 1/8 cup of leftover steamed broccoli, shredded or finely chopped
- dollop of homemade enzyme-rich mayonnaise
- butter made from the cream of grass-fed cows
1. I begin by assembling the filling. Mix the shredded smoked cheddar, shredded or finely chopped broccoli, and mayonnaise together in a small bowl. Spread between two slices of sourdough or sprouted grain bread and make a sandwich. (Interested in trying sprouted grain flours to make your favorite homemade breads? See my Resources page for listings.)
2. Heavily butter both sides of the sandwich. (Yes! Butter is good for you.) Place up to 4 sandwiches inside your pre-heated George Forman Grill, then close the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes or until cheese melts. If you don’t have an indoor grill or sandwich maker, grill in a cast iron skillet for 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat.
3. Remove from heat and enjoy!
We eat these grilled cheese and broccoli sandwiches served with sliced fruit, a couple of slices of braunsweiger, and a tall glass of raw milk from grass-fed cows.
The best part of this grilled cheese sandwich? The smoked cheddar. It pairs so well with the broccoli!
(photo by tamaraburross)
Latest posts by Kristen Michaelis (see all)
- Fight Back Friday April 18th - April 17, 2014
- Fight Back Friday April 11th - April 10, 2014
- How to Green the World’s Deserts: Reversing Desertification with Grass-fed Cows - April 8, 2014