Coconut rice is now my family’s go-to dinner starch, second only to sweet potatoes. It can be jazzed up many ways. Add mangos and call it Thai food, fermented red chili paste and call it Vietnamese.
My favorite way to serve coconut rice is with lime and cilantro, so that’s what I’m sharing here.
Coconut Lime Rice: The Recipe
Yields 7 1/2 to 8 cups cooked rice.
- 2 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 cups coconut milk (where to buy BPA-free coconut milk)
- 3 cups purified water (where to buy water purifiers)
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste (where to buy real salt)
1. Bring rice, coconut milk, water, and salt to boil in a 2 or 3 qt. pot. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
2. Simmer, covered, for 22 minutes.
3. Leaving lid on the pot, remove from heat and let sit for an additional 15 minutes.
4. Remove lid. Fluff with fork. Add lime juice and cilantro, stirring until mixed. Serve hot and ENJOY!
Fast Pressure-Cooker Method
If you own a pressure cooker (this is mine), follow these instructions for a faster preparation.
1. Combine rice, coconut milk, water, and salt in your pressure cooker.
2. Bring to high pressure and cook for 9 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and release steam normally (no cold-water quick release).
4. When de-pressurized, remove lid. Fluff with fork. Add lime juice and cilantro, stirring until mixed. Serve hot and ENJOY!
PLEASE NOTE: I believe pressure cookers are a perfectly healthy way to prepare meals. However, I know many may not have one or want to use one, so I provided regular stove-top instructions, too.
(photo by dishingupdelights)
Latest posts by Kristen Michaelis (see all)
- Fight Back Friday April 11th - April 10, 2014
- How to Green the World’s Deserts: Reversing Desertification with Grass-fed Cows - April 8, 2014
- GIVEAWAY: The Nourished Kitchen Cookbook - April 6, 2014