This lovely recipe is brought to us by Megan Keatley of Health-Bent. Thanks, Megan!
Does a gluten-free lifestyle mean you have to miss out on beer braised bratwurst from now until eternity? Of course not. There’s always the gluten-free hard stuff. But either way, gluten-free or not, I’ve never really thought beer braised brats tasted like much more than just…brats. So we’ve decided to amp up the flavor by using hard apple cider in place of the beer. Hard apple cider is naturally gluten-free and full of delicious caramel, fruity flavor, a near perfect compliment to sausage, onions and peppers.
Cider Braised Brats, Onions and Peppers
- 2 T butter (where to find butter from grass-fed cows)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 lb fresh bratwursts
- 1 bottle hard (or not hard) sparkling apple cider
In a saute pan, melt the butter over medium low heat and sweat out the onions and peppers.
Meanwhile, heat a grill pan (or an outdoor grill) to medium-high.
Add the apple cider and brats to the onions & peppers in the saute pan. Loosely cover the saute pan and let the brats steam in the cider until they’re just about cooked through.
Once the brats have steamed through, place them on the grill and get them nice and charred.
While the brats are grilling, turn up the heat on the saute pan. Simmer the onion, pepper and cider until the juices have reduced to a nice syrupy consistency.
Add the grilled brats back in and serve.
Latest posts by Kristen Michaelis (see all)
- Fight Back Friday April 11th - April 10, 2014
- How to Green the World’s Deserts: Reversing Desertification with Grass-fed Cows - April 8, 2014
- GIVEAWAY: The Nourished Kitchen Cookbook - April 6, 2014