Ah, bananas. When you’ve got too many of them, you either start making a lot of smoothies, or you make banana bread (or maybe banana bread muffins, yum!). But how to do it grain-free? Enter almond flour, the hero of the grain-free/gluten-free/primal baking community.
This morning, I decided to experiment. I wanted to make almond flour banana bread. I’ve not baked with almond flour before, and I’ve certainly never made almond flour banana bread before. I decided to adapt my old banana bread recipe, and boy was I surprised! I made the most incredibly moist, perfectly crumbed, tasty banana bread I’ve ever eaten. That’s why I’m sharing this recipe for almond flour banana bread with you!
Almond Flour Banana Bread
- 4 C. almond flour (where to find almond flour)
- 2 C. coconut flakes (where to find coconut flakes)
- 1 C. dark chocolate chips (where to find chocolate chips & cacao nibs)
- 1 tsp. sea salt (where to find real sea salt)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 C. honey (where to find raw honey)
- 1/2 C. coconut oil (where to find coconut oil)
- 6 eggs (from pastured hens)
- 2 tbs. vanilla (where to find vanilla)
- 2 1/2 C. mashed bananas (approximately 5 small bananas)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients — almond flour, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, salt, baking soda, & baking powder.
2. In a separate mixing blow, combine all wet ingredients — honey, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, & bananas.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients thoroughly with a spoon. Transfer into two loaf pans or one bundt cake pan or 24 muffin tins. Cook at 350F. If using two loaf pans, cook for about 40 minutes. If using a bundt cake pan, cook for about 45-50 minutes. If using muffin tins, cook for about 25 minutes.
4. Remove cooking tins from oven, and let cool completely before removing from cooking tins and serving up this delicious almond flour banana bread to your family and friends. Freeze whatever you don’t think you’ll eat within a couple of days!
Latest posts by Kristen Michaelis (see all)
- Fight Back Friday April 11th - April 10, 2014
- How to Green the World’s Deserts: Reversing Desertification with Grass-fed Cows - April 8, 2014
- GIVEAWAY: The Nourished Kitchen Cookbook - April 6, 2014