No, this isn’t a belated (and distasteful) April Fool’s joke. It’s the truth. A recent study by the U.S. Centers For Disease Control discovered a chemical used in rocket fuel in several different brands of powdered infant formula.
It’s called perchlorate, and it’s turned up in the drinking water supplies of several cities, particularly those near defense and aerospace sites. The study done by the CDC noted that the levels of perchlorate in infant formula could easily exceed what’s considered a safe dose for adults if mixed with water also containing the contaminant.
If you’re a mother who’s unable or unwilling to breastfeed, you naturally look to infant formula to fill in the gap. Your baby needs to eat.
But at what cost?
Industrialized infant formula, like so many foods available at the grocery store, isn’t Real Food. It’s a strange mix of chemicals and additives that you wouldn’t put in your own body, so why would you want to put it in your baby’s?
Some ingredients common to infant formula:
- nonfat dry milk (besides not being a whole food, it also contains oxidized cholesterol and free glutamic acid)
- soy-bean (you all surely know about the dangers of unfermented soy, particularly to your thyroid)
- sunflower, safflower, and soybean oil (modern, industrialized oils which you should definitely avoid)
- lactose (again, not a whole food)
- rice starch (not a whole food)
- milk protein isolate (not a whole food)
- casein hydrosylate (do you really need to ask?)
- modified corn starch (contains free glutamic acid, AKA “MSG”)
- soy protein isolate (not a whole food and from soy!)
- corn syrup (not a natural sugar and usually GMO-based)
Not to mention all the unintended ingredients like bisephenol A or perchlorate.
What is a mother to do?
Fortunately, there is an alternative! The Weston A. Price Foundation has created a few recipes for homemade infant formula which use only Real Food as ingredients. I know many mothers who’ve used the recipes with great success, who watched babies failing to thrive on industrialized formula do a complete turn around and be restored to health with these all-natural alternatives.
This post is my own contribution to today’s Fight Back Fridays blog carnival. For more recipes, stories, and anecdotes about Real Food, go check it out!
(photo by Ben_McLeod)
Latest posts by Kristen (see all)
- Fight Back Friday December 6th - December 5, 2013
- November Giveaway Winner - December 4, 2013
- New Studies Show Gut Bacteria Are “Mind-altering Microorganisms” - December 2, 2013