I grew up in the land of the hotdish. I didn’t realize until I left my home state of Minnesota for college that most of the rest of the country called them casseroles.
Whichever way you cut it, they are a one pot dish – baked or not – that usually involves the main protein and starch of the meal. My Grandmother served them up in her farmhouse kitchen to the many children and grandchildren she fed.
I never liked boxed macaroni and cheese growing up, but for some reason the kind my mother made with tuna and peas mixed in now feels a bit like comfort food. I’ve updated the recipe here to use gluten-free pasta and a cheese “sauce” that is really only two of my favorite ingredients – raw cheese and grass-fed butter.
These days I’ve got my own little army to feed on our off-grid homestead. This quick dish is perfect for our family right now – it’s quick for those days when the baby’s a little more needy, and it involves some of my favorite spring ingredients. Just don’t skimp on the nutrient density found in the grass-fed butter and cheese and wild-caught tuna.
- 12 ounces gluten-free pasta (where to buy gluten-free pasta)
- zest of one lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb fresh green peas, or 1 lb thawed frozen peas
- two 5 oz cans wild-caught tuna, drained (where to buy bpa-free wild-caught tuna)
- 6 Tablespoons grass-fed butter (where to find grass-fed butter)
- 4 ounces raw jack or cheddar cheese, grated (where to buy grass-fed cheeses)
- 3 spring onions, sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place pasta in a medium dutch oven along with the lemon zest. Boil according to package directions. Drain.
- Add the butter, garlic, and cheese and place pot over low heat. Heat, stirring very gently, just until the butter and cheese begin melting together.
- Stir in the peas, tuna, and spring onions and cook just until the peas are heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Makes a perfect lunch served with lacto-fermented carrot sticks.
Latest posts by Shannon Stonger (see all)
- How to Make Delicious Milk Kefir - July 21, 2014
- Better Broccoli Salad [Paleo, Egg-Free, Sugar-Free] - June 18, 2014
- Beef and Lentil Irish Nacho Bake [Grain-free] - June 4, 2014