Imagine a pumpkin pie without the crust. That’s pumpkin custard. Now, imagine it full of nutrient-dense egg yolks from pastured hens, cream from grass-fed cows, and the tiniest hint of a naturally-evaporated sugar. Suddenly that pumpkin custard is rich in the essential vitamins & fats your body needs to stay healthy while being just sweet enough to pass as a dessert.
This pumpkin custard recipe comes from Jenny @ Nourished Kitchen’s Happy & Healthy Holidays E-Course. In that course, she shows you how to make all your family favorites — HEALTHY. Pack in the nutrients, not the pounds this holiday season!
Pumpkin Custard Recipe
- the puree of 1 pie pumpkin, about 2 cups (see video below)
- 9 pastured egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups of heavy cream (preferably from grass-fed cows) (where to find raw cream)
- 1/2 cup sucanat or rapadura (naturally evaporated cane sugar) (where to find natural sweeteners)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (where to buy authentic, fresh, out-of-this world cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Whisk all the ingredients together until creamy.
3. Heat pumpkin mixture over a double-boiler (or make do with a glass bowl over a sauce pan containing 2 inches of boiling water) and stir continuously until thick enough to coat a wooden spoon.
4. Pour into a baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes up clean. Serve hot!
How To Make Pumpkin Puree
The Happy & Healthy Holidays E-Course comes with more than 175 recipes and 30 meal plans. And, in each lesson, you’ll also get 3 video tutorials showing you the techniques necessary to make these dishes!
For delicious dessert recipes created by an award-winning pastry chef similar to this one (dairy-free and grain-free), I highly recommend the Paleo Sweets Cookbook.
It’s got 73 mouthwatering recipes for healthy desserts, including:
- Grain-Free Oreos,
- Key Lime Pie,
- Grain-Free Snickerdoodles,
- Double Chocolate Hazelnut Cake, and more!
At the moment, the printed version of this cookbook is 100% free to Food Renegade readers. You just cover shipping & handling.
Videos like this one, which Jenny released as part of her Bonus Mini-Lesson for Thanksgiving. You have signed up for that, haven’t you? It’s considerably shorter than a real lesson, but it’s FREE. If you haven’t yet, go sign up for it now.
Happy & Healthy Holidays from Jenny
Do you like the idea of making your holidays healthier? Why not check out Jenny’s Happy & Healthy Holidays Online Cooking Course?
The complete course is only $89! That’s less than $10/class, and includes 30 videos, 30+ menus, 175 recipes, exclusive online forum access where you can exchange holiday planning ideas and ask Jenny your burning questions about her recipes, and more!
Or, you can sign up to take individual lessons for just $15/class.
Go check it out now and see if it’s not just what you need to keep your holidays simple, wholesome, and healthy this year!
(photo by vsimon)