A few years ago I wrote a grain-free cookbook for winter that involved many one-pot and one-pan meals. We were grain-free then and with two little ones underfoot that was how I cooked – simply and seasonally.
So much has changed since then. We’re now building a cabin on our off-grid homestead while we fight against the elements here in Central Texas. I have two little ones underfoot once again but these little girls also have two big brothers. The one thing that hasn’t changed is that never before have I needed simple, one-pan meals as much as I do now.
So when we look for something a little different to break up the slew of homemade soups and stews we often eat, I look for a flavorful, one-pan dish like this One Pan Chicken Verde Recipe. It’s super simple, totally delicious, and feeds my little army with very little cleanup. I just add some fermented vegetables and we have a full meal we all love.
I hope you do too.
One Pan Chicken Verde Recipe with Rice & Veggies
- 6 Tablespoons butter or coconut oil, divided (where to find butter from grass-fed cows)
- 1.5 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cups bone broth (where to find broth from pasture-raised chickens
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1.5 cups salsa verde (where to find salsa verde free of canola & preservatives)
- salt to taste
- cilantro, avocado, and sour cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9×13″ pan with 2 Tablespoons of the butter or coconut oil. Sprinkle the dry rice evenly throughout the pan. Top with vegetables and season with sea salt. Pour over broth and sprinkle with chili powder. Spread the chicken pieces out over the surface of the rice and vegetables and season them with salt. Pour the salsa verde over the chicken and cover the whole pan with a tight-fitting lid or heavy-duty aluminum foil, being sure to secure it as tightly as possible.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and rice and vegetables are tender. Remove lid, and dot dish with remaining 4 Tablespoons butter or coconut oil. Turn heat up to 400 degrees and return to oven for an additional 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and edges of rice are crispy.
- Serve topped with cilantro, avocado, or sour cream.