I try to avoid Superbowl Sunday. Maybe it’s un-American of me, but I always make it a goal to not know who’s playing who or even (if possible) when the game is. It’s not because I dislike football, but because I loathe how saturated with advertising American culture is. This single football game has more advertising dollars thrown at it than just about any other event in the entire year. So, I play a game with myself. Can I avoid all the advertising? Can I possibly make it past a Superbowl Sunday without noticing who’s playing, or even that they’re playing?
Of course, I always fail. Even if I manage to miss the 20 foot tall banner ads at my grocery store, even if I manage to avoid television or radio for the entire month of January, even if I manage to only associate with football-challenged friends, there’s still Facebook.
Today I lost my game. I discovered that this coming Sunday, February 7th is Superbowl Sunday. (I still don’t know who’s playing. The Saints maybe? Don’t tell me!) So, I decided to share some of the game-appropriate recipes that have amassed on Food Renegade over the past year.
I hope you enjoy!
- Make Ahead Frozen Meatballs — An easy appetizer paired with marinara sauce, barbecue sauce, or even cheese dip.
- Creamy Queso (Mexican Cheese Dip) Without Velveeta — Sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- Sweet Potato Fries with Chipotle Mayonnaise — Yes. I said chipotle mayonnaise.
- Mouthwatering Sweet Potato Latkes — A tasty fried finger food. Yummy.
- Fresh, Natural, Healthy Lemonade — Mildly fermented, fizzy lemonade makes a healthy alternative to sodas.
Got your own Real Food appetizers or game foods to share? Leave a comment!
Latest posts by Kristen (see all)
- Fight Back Friday December 6th - December 5, 2013
- November Giveaway Winner - December 4, 2013
- New Studies Show Gut Bacteria Are “Mind-altering Microorganisms” - December 2, 2013