As with most homemade salad dressings, Hot Bacon Dressing beats just about any dressing you’d find in your grocery store salad dressing aisle. It packs more flavor, uses healthier fats, and generally makes you feel like a world class chef when all you’ve done is a few simple steps.
Needless to say, I like making Hot Bacon Dressing for my family. It’s versatile, too. Sure, we use it as a salad dressing over greens, but we also use it as a dip for vegetables. We stir Hot Bacon Dressing into our tuna or egg salads to give them a little extra kick. We even use it to top steamed veggies like spinach or broccoli.
Go ahead. Get creative. You know your mouth is watering.
Now, if you’re into the traditional German version of this tasty salad dressing, I don’t think you’ll be too disappointed. This Hot Bacon Dressing isn’t as creamy as the versions made with hot water and cornstarch, but it has more fats. And, as we all know, Fat = Flavor. I also didn’t go for the super- sweet refined sugars, instead opting for some more natural options which can be easily reduced for those wanting to eat fewer carbs. All in all, I like this Hot Bacon Dressing better than the ones your German grandmother made. Hope you do, too!
Hot Bacon Dressing
- 8-10 slices of uncured bacon
- 2 Tbs. raw honey or maple syrup (adjust according to taste) (where to find raw honey or maple syrup)
- 1/2 C. olive oil (pure, UV-protected, and cold-pressed) (where to find REAL olive oil)
- 1/4 C. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg yolk from pastured hens
Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces using clean kitchen shears. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until evenly browned and crispy. Pour bacon and grease into a pint sized glass jar. Add remaining ingredients. Place the lid on the jar and shake until smooth. Makes about 1 1/2 cups. Serve the Hot Bacon Dressing warm. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in your refrigerator and gently reheat on the stove. (I find putting the jar of Hot Bacon Dressing in a warm water bath over the stove top for just a few minutes is usually sufficient.)
(photo by kightp)
Latest posts by Kristen (see all)
- Fight Back Friday December 6th - December 5, 2013
- November Giveaway Winner - December 4, 2013
- New Studies Show Gut Bacteria Are “Mind-altering Microorganisms” - December 2, 2013