My summer lunches are almost always cold meat salads — chicken salad, tuna salad, crab salad, smoked salmon salad. This Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad on Avocado is light, refreshing, and oh so easy to prepare. My basic chicken salad recipe is simple. I take leftover roasted chicken and shred it with a fork, then stir in a few dollops of mayonnaise and a hint brown mustard. Sometimes I toss it with dried cranberries or raisins. Other times I add some curry and diced celery. But my all time favorite way to each chicken salad? With lime and cilantro.
The great thing about these summer salads is that they’re yummy and cool. Children devour them. Parents look on with glee. I don’t know about you, but I love seeing my family well fed.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad on Avocado
Yield: 4 servings
- 3-4 cups shredded, cooked chicken (from pastured hens)
- 3 heaping Tbsp. mayonnaise (where to buy soy-free mayonnaise)
- 1 Tbsp. brown mustard
- 1 Tbsp. diced onion (small red or a few green onions)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 5 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste (where to find organic, non-irradiated spices)
- 2 avocados, halved and with seed removed
Here’s the truly simple part. Mix the first 7 ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Scoop into avocados and serve. ENJOY!
(photo by natalie lewis)